Materials Engineering is the science that enables the synthesis and application of materials in everyday society. Nearly everything we use is made of a material that has been modified or designed by a materials engineer who enables it to perform better than it would do without human intervention.
Materials engineers and scientists study the relationship between materials' structure, performance, properties and synthesis, with a view to designing and producing new materials and new applications that meet the needs of society.The Materials and Production Engineering programme at the University of Trento is particularly addressed to students who demonstrate a thorough grounding in scientific disciplines (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry) and a basic knowledge in Industrial Engineering.
Career opportunities span from innovation and development of production, advanced planning and programming, management of complex systems, both as self-employment professionals and in manufacturing and services companies, as well as in public authorities.
Materials engineers may be employed in: chemical, pharmaceutical and processing industries; companies active in the production, transformation, transportation and storage of substances and materials; industrial laboratories; public administration offices for environment and safety management.
With the MS in Materials Engineering graduates will also be able to work as scientists, engineers or managers in industries of production and conversion of metallic, polymeric, ceramic, glass, composite materials and biomaterials, building materials, or electronic materials, telecommunications, energy, construction, transportation, environment, cultural heritage, industrial laboratories and R&D Departments of public and private institutions.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Metallic materials engineering
- Mechanical design and machine elements
- Ceramic materials engineering
- Product Design
- Nanomaterials and nanotechnologies
- Biomaterials and biomedical technologies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
• February for non-EU citizens living outside Italy
• From June to November: rolling admission for EU citizens and non-EU citizens regularly living in Italy
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 51 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Italy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline of Industrial Engineering (e.g. Materials, Chemical, Mechanical, Electric Engineering) or in any Industrial Engineering-related field; English language qualification
- Academic curriculum; higher English language level; CV and statement of purpose
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
National3400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3400 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
• EU: 340€-3.400€ (based on income/merit)
• Non-EU: 1.000€-4.500€ (based on merit)
• Income/merit based scholarships and tuition waivers are available
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.