The Dance Movement Psychotherapy programme is offered at the Goldsmiths, University of London.
Your learning will be underpinned by the principles and practices of psychodynamic psychotherapy within the social, political and multicultural context of mental health care and educational settings. Study is informed by contemporary dance practice, Laban Movement Analysis (LMA) and somatic bodywork.
Through theoretical studies, movement observation studies, dance practice workshops, clinical work and experiential learning, you integrate cognitive understanding and practical experience with a developing awareness of self and other.
The nature of the therapeutic relationship is explored in depth through movement and dance and you have the opportunity to put your learning into practice through at least 90 days of supervised placements. This gives you the opportunity to relate your practical experience to your theoretical studies.
You'll be encouraged to develop your own dance/movement practice and to situate your work in relation to your development as a therapist, to contemporary dance and movement practice. You're required to be in personal therapy throughout the programme (please note that this is at your own cost).
Key employability skills developed on the course include:
- Personal development planning
- Reflective processes
- Tolerance for stress
- Practical and Professional elements
- Interpersonal sensitivity
- Organisational sensitivity
- Written communication
Examples of places that DMP MA graduates are currently working:
- Mainstream, special and therapeutic schools.
- Pupil referral units
- Organisations for adoption and fostering
- Children and adults in not-for-profit organisations
- Drugs intervention team
- Addictions service
- Dance for Parkinsons
- Community, creative and therapeutic dance for children and adults
- Dance therapy and mindfulness based approaches
- Honorary DMP contract – NHS Trust
- Sessional DMP work for C.I.C ‘Dance and Dementia’.
- Creative Therapist, NHS Foundation Trust, CAMHS Specialist Intervention Team
- Lecturing (e.g. UEL on use of the body in the counselling/therapy relationship
- PhD study
- Theory and Practice of Dance Movement Psychotherapy
- Experiential Learning
- Clinical Placement
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply early to avoid disappointment
DisciplinesPsychology Theatre & Dance View 853 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
You should have:
- an undergraduate degree of at least second class standard in a relevant/related subject or, if you aren’t a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in dance and/or movement forms
- experience of paid or voluntary work in health, social, education or community services
International20250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20250 GBP per year during 24 months.
National9260 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9260 GBP per year during 24 months.
- National - part-time: £6175
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.