The Latin American and Caribbean Studies program of University of Guelph has a faculty comprised of internationally renowned specialists, and the option to research and study abroad, the program provides graduate students with unique opportunities for personal growth and professional development. LACS is a bilingual program that can be done in either English or Spanish.
The LACS program prepares students for a variety of jobs that require critical and creative thinking, and the ability to formulate and carry out a research plan. Students can study abroad and conduct field research in Latin American and Caribbean countries. The program can be completed in 3 semesters.
- Globalization and Insecurity
- Collective Memory and Cultural Traumas
- Community and Civil Society
- Transculturación, Realismo Mágico, Hibridación
- Economic, Political, and Cultural Development
- Area of Student’s Interest
Are you interested in:
- Preparing for PhD programs or professional schools
- Development, global inequality, diversity, and poverty
- Studying and conducting field research in Latin American and Caribbean countries
- Acquiring pedagogical training and teaching experience
- Government/public sector
- Private sector
- Research Methods Seminar
- Latin American Identity & Culture
- Re-Imagining Community in Latin America
- Globalization & Insecurity in the Americas
- Novel & Nation in Spanish America
- Civil Society and Activism in Latin America
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Application deadline is ongoing.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 66 other Masters in Languages in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Guelph and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The normal requirement for admission to the LACS MA program is the equivalent of an Honours degree from a recognized institution with at least a high second-class standing (78% or higher) in the last 2 years of study.
- A reading knowledge of Spanish will be required.
- Letter of intent
International13674 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6837 CAD per semester during 18 months.
National4754 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2377 CAD per semester during 18 months.
Living costs for Guelph
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.