Students can draw on one or both of the fields of Applied Linguistics and Discourse Studies to suit their own study and research goals. This comprehensive Linguistics (Applied) and Discourse Studies MA program at Carleton University is unique in North America as these two fields are typically housed in different departments or faculties at other universities.
We also offer courses, including a practicum, that lead to Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Ontario certification.
Many graduates have accepted academic positions and/or continued their studies in education, literacy, rhetoric, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics and other fields at distinguished universities in Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Oman, South Korea, the UK, the USA and other countries. They teach in schools, colleges, universities and community programs all over the world. They also work as researchers, learning specialists, policy advisers and ESL instructors, and as writing coaches in government, educational institutions, corporations and non-profit organizations.
- Directions in Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies
- Inquiry Strategies in Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies
- Theoretical & Linguistic Descriptions of Language Use
- Theoretical Foundations for Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies
- Systemic-Functional Linguistics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 79 other Masters in Language Studies in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Carleton University and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A BA honours degree in a discipline involving the analysis of language or the study of language use or learning, or a three-year BA degree in a relevant discipline combined with a BEd or CTESL.
- A minimum of B+ in related courses and a B overall in academic work are required. Relevant professional experience may also enhance a candidate’s application to the MA program.
International18463 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18463 CAD per year during 12 months.
National6657 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6657 CAD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Ottawa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.