The mission of the Middle Grades MAT program is to prepare developmentally responsive and effective middle grades educators.
We address this mission by providing: a.) coursework aligned to the NC Professional Teaching Standards and Association for Middle Level Education standards and b.) Field experiences in a variety of settings.
Upon completion of the Middle Grades Education Program from University of North Carolina Wilmington, candidates will:
- Teacher Candidates will demonstrate leadership by applying the major constructs (concepts, principles, theories, standards, and research) related to young adolescent development and developmentally responsive middle schools
- Teacher Candidates will establish a respectful educational environment for diverse learners by adapting instruction based on analysis of the individual needs (e.g., learning, social, emotional) of young adolescents and their community contexts
- Teacher Candidates will demonstrate content knowledge by applying major content-specific constructs (concepts, principles, theories, language, standards, and research) during field experiences and internship
- Teacher Candidates will facilitate student learning through the learning cycle (planning, instruction, and assessment) by applying a variety of developmentally appropriate strategies and technologies to meet the learning needs of young adolescents
- Teacher Candidates will reflect on their practice by analyzing student learning to inform their instruction and professional development
- Advanced Middle Grades Education
- Advanced Diverse Learners 6-9
- Instructional Design in the Middle Grades
- Advanced Field Studies 6-9
- Literacy Integration in the Middle Grades 6-9
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1801 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Recent graduates, working professionals and career changers with a bachelor’s degree in any field are eligible for the MAT in Middle Grades Education.
International18548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18548 USD per year during 24 months.
National18548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18548 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State4720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4720 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Wilmington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.