The program provides teachers with the theoretical, practical knowledge and skills necessary to teach non-native speakers of English. The program focuses on language and cultural issues, methodologies and curriculum design. A major or minor in English, modern languages, bilingual education, or equivalents desired. Candidates from other disciplines must have an introductory course in linguistics, EDR 634 Linguistics for Teachers. Students are also encouraged to take EDR 602 (Teaching English Language Learners Across Content), which is a course for teachers in the content areas. This course addresses methods and strategies for teaching ESL students in content area classes.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Educational Policy and Practice
- Social/Cultural Foundations of Education
- Educational Inquiry and Evaluation
- Race, Class, and Language
- English as a Second Language Methodologies
- Linguistics for Teachers
- Sociolinguistics: Language, Society, and Schooling
- Explicit Language Instruction
- Assessments: K-12 Models and Practices
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 391 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Application Materials: Graduate application, application fee, official transcripts from all previous colleges or universities attended, and copies of teaching/administrative certificates if required for program admission or approved waiver;
- Recommendations: Three professional or academic recommendations on COE recommendation forms, addressing the candidate’s potential for graduate study;
- Grade Point Average: Grade point average of 3.0 or better for the last 60 credits of undergraduate work taken from a regionally accredited institution; or
- Previous Master’s Degree: A prior master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution will be accepted in lieu of the minimum grade point average.
International677 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 677 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National677 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 677 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State677 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 677 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Grand Valley State University is a great place for students to invest in their futures. The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships can help you maximize your investment by working with you to determine how to most effectively meet your unique needs.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.