The Theatre Arts program of the Utah State University also hosts an impressive visiting artist series, where students have the opportunity to learn from renowned visiting professionals from all over the world. Graduate students in the department have many opportunities to present their design portfolios with the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, and graduate students often win national awards.
The MFA degree is a terminal degree in the design aspect of theatre. It is a three-year program in which students gain hands-on experience in one or more areas of focus, including set design, costume design, and lighting design. Secondary areas of study may include technical practice, sound design, properties design and/or scenic art.
Students who graduate with the MFA can pursue the following careers:
- Professors in higher education
- Regional theatre companies
- Repertory theatre companies
- Scenic, costume, or lighting design
- Production managers
- Technical directors
Students who graduate with the MA generally are secondary education theatre teachers who wish to advance their careers by obtaining a master’s degree, or are students who enter doctoral programs in the academic side of theatre.
- Contemporary Theatre Studies
- Specialized Theatre History and Literature Topics
- Drafting for Theatre
- Advanced Scene Design for Theatre
- Advanced Costume Design for Theatre
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 320 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- Students from various majors are welcome to apply; however, several theatre prerequisites or their equivalents are required. Each student’s undergraduate transcript will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and students may be accepted into the program if they complete these prerequisites, which they can do concurrently with their graduate coursework
- Complete the online application
- Pay the $55 application fee
- Score at or above the 40th percentile on the GRE or MAT
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on your last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits
- Provide transcripts of all college/university credits
- Provide three contacts for letters of recommendation
- Submit 5-20 samples of theare design work and/or artwork
- Submit a resume of theatre experience
- Participate in an interview with the appropriate faculty, in-person or by phone
International15346 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7673 USD per semester during 36 months.
National15346 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7673 USD per semester during 36 months.
In-State4384 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2192 USD per semester during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.