The Special Education program of the Utah State University is designed to develop and improve teaching skills in the classroom as well as to develop the skills of those who work with individuals with disabilities in community-based settings. Participants include school personnel and others involved in education-related activities across a variety of community, work, and clinical settings.
With the MEd, students can also receive an Administrative/Supervisory Concentration, and with the MS, students can opt to complete coursework that leads to national certification as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst.
- MEd with Administrative/Supervisory Concentration: This is designed for individuals pursuing administrative or supervisory positions in the public school system. The program combines the special education focuses on refining school practices in instruction and management, legal requirements, and cultural and linguistic diversity with the knowledge and competencies of the Administrative/Supervisory Concentration program.
- MS with National Board Certified Behavior Analysis: This is a three-year MS sequence that prepares individuals as behavior specialists. Participants complete the coursework necessary to sit for the National Board Certified Behavior Analysis (BCBA) exam (individuals already possessing a master's degree can apply to take only BCBA-preparation courses). Students gain valuable clinical and research experience that strengthens their professional skills and prepares them for further graduate study.
The EdS is designed for advanced graduate students seeking instruction beyond a master’s degree. Programs are individually planned to address specific student needs.
In the special education programs, teachers are trained to teach special education or general education students. They can choose to become:
- Classroom teachers
Students in the MS program are also given the groundwork to pursue a doctoral degree, which gives them the opportunity to become professors or administrators in either higher education or at a state level.
With the Administrative/Supervisory License, students can serve in educational administrative positions as principals or superintendents.
With the National Board Certified Behavior Analysis qualification, students can become a certified behavior analyst and work in schools, clinics, or private practices.
- Applied Behavioral Analysis 1: Principles, Assessment, and Analysis
- Foundations in Special Education: Instructional Strategies, Behavior Management, and IEPs
- Basic Behavior Management and Instructional Strategies
- Advanced Behavior Management and Instructional Strategies
- Technology and Collaboration for Teaching Exceptional Learners
- Applied Behavioral Analysis 2: Applications
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 700 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Students who apply to this program must have a bachelor's degree in special education
- Complete the online application
- Pay the $55 application fee
- Score at or above the 40th percentile on in the GRE
- Provide official transcripts of all college/university credits
- Provide three contacts for letters of recommendation
- GPA of 3.0 or higher during most recent 60 semester hours
- Teaching experience is strongly encouraged
- Provide letter of intent
In addition to the above requirements, the following is required for the MEd with Administrative/Supervisory Licensure program:
- Level two license in Utah required
- Two years of certified experience required
- A separate application submitted directly to the Teacher Education and Leadership department.
International15964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7982 USD per semester during 12 months.
National15964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7982 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State4684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2342 USD per semester during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.