During the Sociology program of the Utah State University graduate students have the opportunity to merge basic foundation coursework in social theory and research methods with more specialized training in selected specialty areas, which are environment and community, demography, and states and markets. The sociology program has a particular strength in environmental and natural resource sociology and is one of the top programs for these areas in the United States. In this area, the department collaborates with faculty in natural resources, water engineering, and other physical and social sciences.
There is also a strong emphasis on teacher development, with a required teaching seminar for doctoral students, opportunities for students to teach their own courses, and strong teaching mentoring from faculty.
Most PhD graduates in sociology obtain careers in academia and research. They are employed at universities or with government agencies. Most students who graduate with the MS continue on to complete a PhD, either at USU or at other universities. Other students interested in working in sociological methods, statistics, and demography can find employment with local, state, and federal agencies and also with nonprofit organizations.
- Development of Sociological Theory
- Advanced Methods of Social Research
- Social Statistics
- Population and Health
- Global Migration
- Sociology of Health
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 650 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Applicants for the MS program preferably have a bachelor’s degree in sociology or an equivalent social science. If students have a different major, but have taken core sociology classes in methods, theory, and statistics, and have adequate exposure to the discipline, they may still be considered.
- Applicants for the PhD must have completed an MS in sociology or related discipline, with master’s-level sociology core courses and a research-based master’s thesis.
- Complete the online application
- Pay the $55 application fee
- Score at or above the 40th percentile on in the GRE
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on your last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits
- Provide transcripts of all college/university credits
- Provide three contacts for letters of recommendation
- Provide a letter of intent
International15964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7982 USD per semester during 12 months.
National15964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7982 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State4684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2342 USD per semester during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.