High-Impact Master's Education
The Special Education program at University of Nevada, Reno focuses on the preparation of teachers to work with students with disabilities in PK-12 schools. Teachers may also be prepared to work with infants and toddlers with disabilities and their families. The program has an emphasis area that the Association for Behavior Analysis International has verified toward the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst® (Option 1) examination. Applicants will need to meet additional requirements before they can be deemed eligible to take the examination.
Two types of master’s degrees in special education are offered, the Master of Education (M.Ed.) with out a thesis and Master of Education (M.Ed.) with a thesis. These programs have differing emphases and so it is recommended that students meet with a faculty advisor in selecting the most appropriate program.
Emphasis areas include:
- mild to moderate disabilities (K-12),
- intellectual disabilities: moderate to intense needs,
- applied behavior analysis in special education,
- autism and related disorders (K-12),
- advanced studies in learning and behavior disorders, and
- early intervention/early childhood special education.
Programs of study leading to initial licensure or advanced preparation are both available.
Students will develop an in-depth understanding of special education policy and law, student characteristics, instructional methods, assessment, behavior management, and working collaboratively with families. They will be familiar with the professional literature related foundations and research in special education related to their area of emphasis. Teacher leadership is stressed with graduates able to interpret and evaluate research findings and apply them to special education and early intervention settings.
- Trends and Issues in Special Education
- Educational Research
- Special Topics in Advanced Educational Measurement and Statistics
- Assessment of Students with Severe Disabilities
- Multicultural Concerns in Diverse Educational Settings
- Issues in Teaching in Diverse Educational Settings
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
33 - 42
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Early Childhood Education View 421 other Masters in Early Childhood Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completion of the program application
- Passing scores Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators in Reading, Writing, and Math or CBEST. If you provide evidence of a Nevada Teaching License without a provision for the basic skills test or have a master's degree in another area, you are exempt from this requirement.
- Statement of professional goals
- 1-2 page resume
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Qualified in the professional judgment of the program faculty
International21592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21592 USD per year during 12 months.
National21592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21592 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State5500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5500 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Reno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.