The M.Ed. program from University of Nevada, Reno is designed for individuals who have earned a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution and who want to combine teacher licensure at the 7-12 level with a Masters in Education.
The M.Ed. program is divided into two parts:
- Required course work that leads to a secondary teaching license in Nevada, and
- Additional coursework beyond licensure to complete the requirements for a master's degree. Student need to have earned degrees in field representing teaching majors that include: art, biology, career and technical education, chemistry, earth science, English, foreign languages, general science, health, history, journalism, mathematic, music, physical education, physical science, physics, political science, social studies, speech, theater.
Graduates with MEd in Secondary Education from University of Nevada, Reno will:
- demonstrate an understanding of the historical, philosophical, and social foundations of education and their relevance to current educational policy and practice.
- demonstrate an understanding of the theories that explain how students of diverse backgrounds develop and learn.
- be able to integrate knowledge of learning and curriculum theory with knowledge of instruction.
- use knowledge of methods of research and assessment to examine his/her professional practice in order to improve decisions and actions that impact students and their learning.
- demonstrate growth as a professional educator by engaging in thoughtful analysis, active inquiry, informed decision making, and goal setting for personal learning and development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Issues in Secondary Education
- General Secondary Teaching Methods
- Students with Disabilities in the Regular Classroom
- Education for a Changing World
- Parent Involvement and Family Engagement
- Supervised Internship
- Teaching Secondary Social Studies
- Second Language Instruction in the Secondary School
- Teaching Secondary School Science
- Teaching Secondary Mathematics
- Methods course for Career and Technical Education
- Teaching Secondary English and
- Teaching Writing in the Schools
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 4083 other Masters in Education in United States
- Completion of the program application
- Completion of the Pre-Professional Skills Test or other basic competency exam at the level established by the Nevada Department of Education
- Prerequisite coursework
- A reflective essay, three to five pages in length, which discusses the candidate's understanding of the purpose of public education and how the complex issues facing secondary educators are going to affect the candidate as a teacher
- 1-2 page resume
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Qualified in the professional judgment of the program faculty
International21006 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21006 USD per year during 12 months.
National21006 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21006 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State5352 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5352 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Reno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.