The Marriage and Family Therapy Program at University of Miami meets the academic requirements for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist in the State of Florida. Licensure allows for the independent practice of Marriage and Family Therapy, including private practice or practice in mental health counseling agencies, clinics, hospitals, public and private schools, and a range of other settings. Many of our students also go on to obtain doctoral degrees in related fields.
The curriculum includes 15 content courses and a practicum year. Students can complete the program in 2 years, 3 years, or 4 years. Additional requirements include a self-examination, Personal Growth Experience and a Comprehensive Examination prior to completing the program.
To prepare students for professional practice at the Master’s level in Mental Health Counseling (MHC), and Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) through the integration of theory, research and skills derived from science-based education.
The Master’s program prepares students to function as culturally competent counselors to address the mental health needs of a diverse client population.
- Lifespan Human Development
- Professional, Legal & Ethical Issues in Counseling
- Assessment Strategies for Counselors I
- Counseling Process and Practice
- Psychosocial Bases of Social and Cultural Diversity
- Counseling Theories & Practice
- Psychopathology for Counselors
- Counseling & Sexuality
- Substance Abuse and Addictions: Theories and Counseling
- Theory and Practice with Children & Adolescents
- Research & Program Evaluation in Counseling
- Marriage and Family Specialty (Required)
- Dynamics of Marriage and Family Systems
- Family Therapy
- Therapy for Couples
- Practicum in Counseling
- Practicum Laboratory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Adult Education View 116 other Masters in Adult Education in United States
- Coursework in psychology; in the absence of coursework in psychology, previous experience in human and social development as undergraduates, especially for those making a career change.
- Previous experience in human service activities, whether paid or volunteer, is a plus.
- Letters of recommendation (three). Letters are primarily from academic sources and describe academic performance, fund of psychological knowledge, writing skills, interpersonal skills, and/or knowledge of research and statistics. These letters should address your interpersonal skills, verbal and writing skills, leadership ability and/or motivation for a degree in counseling.
International39834 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19917 USD per semester during 24 months.
National39834 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19917 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.