The vision of the Community and Social Change program at University of Miami centers on the philosophy that leaders in community organizations must be knowledgeable in research, theories, and practice. Leaders must be specifically trained to translate knowledge of individual, organizational and community well-being into action, engaging in praxis with the community.
The 30-credit master’s program in Community & Social Change is designed to accommodate a variety of students by offering courses in the evening, on weekends and during summer interim sessions. Generally, full-time students are able to complete the program in one to two years.
Purpose and Goals
The program is designed to enhance our students’ abilities to:
- Lead, administer, and inspire within educational and community settings;
- Lead group processes and consultations;
- Develop and evaluate programs;
- Engage in ethical practices;
- Develop collaborative efforts to address social issues;
- Think and act as advocates and agents of change;
- Think and act in ecological, multicultural, and global ways;
- Understand and utilize theory and research;
- Understand power dynamics, systems, and social sources of well-being; and
- Communicate well in oral, written, and electronic media formats.
- Community Well-being and Change: Theory and Practice
- Development & Change in Community Organizations: Theory & Practice
- Essentials of Research in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Program Evaluation
- Managing Community Organizations
- Multicultural Communities in a Globalized Society
- Seminar in Community & Social Change
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Community Development View 483 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- Request one official transcript from each post-secondary institution (college or university) that you have attended.
- In your CollegeNet application on (page 5) is a space for you to add your recommender’s names and email addresses.
- Request your GRE general, and TOEFL (if applicable) scores from ETS
- Students should attach to the application a statement of academic and professional goals.
- Students should attach to the application a current curriculum vitae (CV) or resume.
- A copy of passport.
- Copy of diploma with English translation for degrees earned outside of the United States.
- Official / original transcripts with English translation.
International39834 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19917 USD per semester during 12 months.
National39834 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19917 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.