The Geography program at University of Nevada, Reno is a two-year program of study that allows students to pursue advanced coursework across a range of subfields of geography (see Department research areas) while conducting independent research or a professional project in coordination with a faculty adviser. Two degree plans are available: Plan A (31 credits) includes a thesis on original research; Plan B (36 credits) replaces the thesis with a professional paper.
Why chose geography at the University of Nevada, Reno?
Department of Geography faculty members possess a range of interdisciplinary strengths and expertise in the areas of human, human-environment and physical geography, supported by the use of computational technologies such as geographic information systems, remote sensing, modeling and data analytics. The faculty is renowned for its teaching and mentoring, with individual members having garnered university, state and national teaching awards.
Department research specialties span the full range of the discipline, including:
- Hydrologic modeling
- Urban and economic geography
- Cultural and historical geography
- Political geography and geopolitics
- Qualitative methods
- Human-Environment relations and political ecology
- Urban and regional planning
- GIS and geotechnologies
- Biogeography, wildlife, and landscape ecology
- Natural resource management and conflict
- Conservation science and planning
These specialties in physical and human-environment geography are supported by a dendrochronology laboratory and palynology laboratory for paleo-climate reconstruction; the Nevada State Climate Office and geospatial and conservation laboratories that study biodiversity, ecosystems and urban growth patterns and processes using GIS, remote sensing and spatial statistics. The Department has multiple computational and data servers; two computer labs and equipment for field studies focusing on mountain environments, climatology, environmental reconstruction and water resources.
- History and Nature of Geography
- Advanced Geography Historical
- Advanced Geography Cultural
- Advanced Geography Economic
- Advanced Geography Urban
- Advanced Geography Regional
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Plan A (Thesis): 31 units
- Plan B (Non-thesis): 36 units
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography Geology View 235 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Nevada, Reno and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A graduate admission application form, including fees
- An official copy of GRE scores (optional)
- Official college transcripts
- A statement of purpose and goals
- Three letters of recommendation
International21592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21592 USD per year during 12 months.
National5500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5500 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State21592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21592 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Reno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.