You can take a wide range of courses covering the entire spectrum of literary history, combined with allied courses in cultural studies, comparative literature, film, literary theory, history, and philosophy.
Close Collaboration with Faculty
University of Notre Dame is especially suited for you if you seek close collaboration with faculty and the opportunity to develop innovative research projects. Our faculty in the Program of French and Francophone Studies represent the array of disciplines from the medieval through the contemporary periods and include specialists in North African, sub-Saharan, and Caribbean Francophone literatures. We have strong areas of expertise in the following areas: cinema and media studies; the intersections of literature, philosophy, and religion; music particularly opera; gender studies, and migration. Learn about some impactful international and interdisciplinary projects such as:
- Why do global women writers gravitate towards Paris?
- How can we improve how we teach and learn languages?
- What can we learn about xenophobia through the interdisciplinary study of French language, culture, and history?
- Early Periods (medieval - 17th-century)
- Classical French Theatre and Psychoanalysis
- Modern periods (18th-century - 21st-century; Francophonie)
- Performing the Text: Literature, Philosophy, Cinema Grammatology of Cinema
- Francophones Extremes: French Writing on the Cutting Edge
- Writing Disappearance in 20th- and 21st-Century Fiction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 793 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Notre Dame and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of intent (maximum 750 words)
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably by professors with whom the candidate has recently studied
- Results of GRE (note that the GRE is optional)
- Results of the TOEFL or IELTS (non-native English speakers)
- Two writing samples (maximum of 20 pages each)
- Please also supply a one- to two-minute MP3 file demonstrating your competency in oral French. (You may read a short passage or poem.)
International58590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58590 USD per year during 24 months.
National58590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58590 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for South Bend
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.