The Master’s specialisation in Practical Theology focuses on theological theory-building to understand the dynamics and meaning of lived religion at four different levels: the personal, inter-group relations, organisational and societal level.
Our department has constructed new, unique methodologies that focus on a qualitative study of narratives, communication, and ritual (liturgy). We have expertise in spiritual biographical research, practice-oriented research and discourse analysis.
What will you learn?
- Search for theological concepts that match the changing shape of the Christian religion in the life of individuals as well as fresh expressions of religious institutions
Benefit from our expertise in survey research, with a specialisation in cross-religious surveys in which Christian believers are compared with believers of other religions (Islam, Hinduism)
- Gain valuable skills in designing, conducting and presenting your research
The Master’s programme in Theology has a strong emphasis on career prospects by allowing students to focus on one professional path in their third year: research, education, spiritual care or religion and policy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Practical Theology seminar
- Pastoral Theology
- Discipline seminars
- Master's Thesis
- Professional and research specialisation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- 1 April: Final deadline
- 1 July: Final deadline
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 14 other Masters in Christian Studies in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed Bachelor's degree in Theology or related area
- A proficiency in English
- If you do not meet these admission requirements, it may be possible to take the one-year Pre-Master’s programme in Theology (Dutch only) and enrol in the programme a year later.
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2143 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2143 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.