The Teaching English Language Learners (PreK-12) program at Syracuse University aligns with the professional standards of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Organization, and the New York State Teaching and Learning Standards and prepares teachers to be agents of change who work to transform education in ways that will fully serve the needs of English language learners.
This program is designed for those with NYS certification, and is a 30-credit course of study. It can be pursued full-time over a year, in a fall-spring-summer sequence, or part-time over a several-year period.
The program also requires a minimum of 12 credits in one language other than English as an entry requirement.
Syracuse University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Linguistic Analysis
- Second Language Acquisition
- Linguistics for Teachers of English Language Learners
- Issues in Multicultural Literacy
- Early Intervention for Children's Reading Problems
- Methods of Teaching Literacy to English Language Learners
- Methods of Literacy Across the Curriculum for English Language Learners
- Issues in Educating English Language Learners
- Teaching English Language Learners Practicum and Capstone Seminar
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesTeaching Teaching English View 206 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
- Bachelor’s degree and a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- A minimum of 12 credits in a language other than English, or equivalent.
- Official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate study.
- Competitive scores on one of the following admissions entrance exams: Graduate Record Examination (GRE); Miller Analogy Test (MAT); or other acceptable, nationally normed admissions examination; or a passing score on the Praxis: Core Academic Skills for Educators, edTPA, or ATS-W exam.
- A personal essay describing the candidate’s beliefs about student learning, commitment to diversity and working with students who speak languages other than English, enthusiasm for learning, willingness to foster collaboration, and ethics.
- 3 Letters of recommendation, at least one from a faculty member.
- Prior experiences working with youth
- Resume or CV.
International31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 12 months.
National31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Syracuse
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.