The Mechanical Engineering program at California State University Northridge features a thesis plan and a comprehensive examination plan so that the students can tailor their studies to complement their specific career and educational goals.
Student Learning Outcomes
The overall learning outcomes for the program are:
- Understand and apply advanced engineering mathematics, particularly to problems requiring matrix analysis and solutions of differential equations.
- Be able to apply modern computational tools to attain solutions of complex mechanical engineering problems in one of the four emphasis areas.
- Demonstrate achievement of the specific learning outcomes assigned to their chosen emphasis area.
Mechanical engineers design automobiles; aircraft and space vehicles; power plants; heating and cooling systems; gas and steam turbines; servomechanisms; transmissions; engines for rockets, aircraft and ground vehicles; robots; and manufacturing production lines. They use scientific knowledge to create new and useful designs and to harness various types of energy, such as chemical, solar or thermal.
Mechanical Engineering is the broadest engineering specialty. A company that employs any engineer is likely to hire some mechanical engineers. Those companies include power-generation and public utility companies, transportation companies, construction firms, airlines, missile and spacecraft companies, electronics companies, and the manufacturing companies that produce all forms of machinery, vehicles, aircraft, appliances and many other products used by industry and/or consumers.
Most CSUN Mechanical Engineering graduates become practicing engineers in industry. Others, however, choose to pursue careers with government agencies or educational institutions. The degree also can be a stepping stone to law school for a career as a patent lawyer, or to business school for careers in technical management, marketing or sales.
- Seminar in Engineering Analysis
- Methods of Applied Mechanics
- Applied Heat and Mass Transfer
- Modeling and Simulation of Dynamic Systems
- Advanced Fluid Dynamics
- Vibration Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Mechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 375 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.0 or higher overall grade point average is required. Applicants with an overall grade point average between 2.5 and 3.0 will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis
- For admission with a baccalaureate degree other than Mechanical Engineering, applicants must have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Approval by the College of Engineering and Computer Science and the department graduate coordinator
- A Statement of Purpose describing the applicant’s educational and career goals as well as two recommendation letters from professional references and applicant’s resume are required
- Foreign students must demonstrate their proficiency in the English language.
- Students interested in the M.S. in Mechanical Engineering degree program who do not have an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering should contact the graduate coordinator regarding prerequisite requirements
International14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
National14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8498 USD per year during 12 months.
Yearly tuition fee for seven or more units per semester.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.