The Mathematics Education Preparation 7-12 program is designed for students who have attained a bachelor’s degree with a major in mathematics or its equivalent, and seek initial New York State certification to teach mathematics in grades 7-12. The program aligns with the professional standards of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and the New York State Teaching and Learning Standards. Full time study is required.
For those students who already have initial certification to teach grades 7-12 mathematics, the School of Education offers a program leading to the degree of Master of Science in Teaching and Curriculum. Students may have a concentration in mathematics education through this program, which is designed to support professional development for teachers and to enhance understanding of the theories and practices associated with teaching.
- Complete your degree in one year of full-time study – no teaching experience or certification needed!
- Prepares students for teaching diverse students in 21st century classrooms. From experiences in university classrooms, online, and in schools and communities, you will learn to design inclusive, culturally relevant pedagogy for all students.
- Faculty members of this program are specialists and are highly interested in educational theory and research in the field of mathematics education.
- Participate in EDU Sims, which are standardized simulations of common interactions in classroom and school environments to help you identify your strengths and develop your professional skills.
- Strong collaborative ties with the faculty in the Department of Mathematics. Students will continue to develop content knowledge while learning how to teach and work with students and communities.
- Each semester centers on an intensive field placement in a middle or high school setting to provide rich teaching experience with youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Take part in School of Education short-term study abroad programs around the world. Through the Himan Brown Fellowship, School of Education students are also eligible for exclusive funding to support study abroad experiences.
- Small student cohorts and a highly engaged alumni network mean you get to know your teachers and peers who will become your lifelong colleagues.
Syracuse University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Understanding Learning and Teaching
- Issues in Educating English Language Learners
- Literacy Across the Curriculum
- Methods and Curriculum in Teaching
- Adapting Instruction for Diverse Student Needs
- Student Teaching
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Actuarial Science View 367 other Masters in Actuarial Science in United States
- Bachelor’s degree and a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- An mathematics major or a 33-credit major equivalent determined via transcript review.
- Official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate study.
- Competitive scores on one of the following admissions entrance exams: Graduate Record Examination (GRE); Miller Analogy Test (MAT); or other acceptable, nationally normed admissions examination; or a passing score on the Praxis: Core Academic Skills for Educators, edTPA, or ATS-W exam.
- A personal essay describing the candidate’s beliefs about student learning, commitment to diversity, enthusiasm for learning, willingness to foster collaboration, and ethics.
- 3 Letters of recommendation, at least one from a faculty member.
- Prior experiences working with youth.
- Resume or CV.
- Interview encouraged.
- Applicants with or without existing New York State teacher certification may apply; however, students must have NO existing Mathematics certification.
International31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 15 months.
National31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 15 months.
Living costs for Syracuse
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.