On the Secondary Education (QTS) - English programme from University of Birmingham, you will be challenged to develop informed and justified decisions about how you approach your teaching in order to enable you to continue to develop over the course of your career. On successful completion of your PGDipEd, you may return to study with us on a part-time basis to complete your Masters in Teaching Studies.
On this PGDipEd programme you will benefit from our unique collaboration with the University of Birmingham School as well as a wide range of partner schools, including mixed comprehensive, single sex, religious and selective schools and sixth form colleges. These diverse communities we serve will enrich your experience on the programme.
Secondary English is also offered as a School Direct programme with Lordswood Girls’ School, St Paul’s Caritas Christi, and Windsor Academy Trust
The School of Education at the University of Birmingham has a long tradition of delivering teacher training courses. Its teaching has been graded as 'outstanding' three times by Ofsted inspectors which affirms the University’s status as one of the UK’s leading institutions for excellence in teacher training. The PGDipEd English programme has an excellent and proven track record. It is rigorous and challenging, forming an excellent preparation for a successful career in teaching English.
The University of Birmingham English PGDipEd (QTS) course is highly regarded across Birmingham and the West Midlands. We have an excellent record of students gaining jobs at the end of the course. Many of our ex-students have gone on to become Heads of Departments, Senior Managers, advisers and University tutors.
- The programme includes the study of subject-based teaching methods as well as the study of broader whole school issues.
- A variety of teaching styles and approaches to learning will be used in the presentation of the themes.
- These include University-based lectures, small group seminars and workshops, school-based work with pupils and teachers, and work undertaken individually or with other groups of students.
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
Apply online through DfE Apply
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Secondary Education View 458 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- All applicants to the Secondary PGDipEd (QTS) English course must hold a degree from a UK Higher Education Institution (or have an equivalent qualification). This will normally be a minimum 2:2 classification and this will be a condition of any offer where the degree has not already been awarded. At least half your degree should be in English. Graduates with degrees in Classics are also invited to apply. Normally, a good pass in A Level English Literature will be required if the English degree has no Literature content.
- Experience in a maintained school setting is recommended but not always essential.
- You must also have a GCSE in Mathematics and English (grade 4 or above) or an equivalent qualification which must be attained before making your application.
International20430 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20430 GBP for the full programme during 9 months.
National9250 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 9 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.