It aligns with the professional standards of the National Council for Teachers of English and the New York State Teaching and Learning Standards. From experiences in university classrooms, online, and in schools and communities, students learn to design inclusive, culturally relevant pedagogy for 21st century classrooms. Graduates understand the key role that English educators play in developing literacy across the curriculum and for life purposes that extend beyond school.
Historically, the Reading and Language Arts department has enjoyed cooperative relationships with area public schools, BOCES, and local companies that permit candidates to gain field experience and, where appropriate, conduct research in school and workplace settings. In addition, English Education maintains a close tie with the other programs in the Reading and Language Arts department.
This English Education: Preparation program at Syracuse University is intended for those with an English major or major equivalent (see below) who are seeking teaching certification (preparation program). In combination with the English and liberal arts distribution credits described below, it meets the academic requirements for New York State initial teacher certification in English Language Arts for grades 7-12.
Why English Education at Syracuse University?
- Complete your degree in one calendar year – no teaching experience or certification needed!
- Learn to design inclusive, culturally relevant pedagogy for all students.
- Take classes with full time, tenured and tenure-track faculty who are deeply involved in educational theory, research, and leadership in the field of English education.
- Pursue intensive field placements during three consecutive semesters in a middle or high school setting, providing rich teaching experiences with youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Take part in School of Education short-term study abroad programs around the world. Through the Himan Brown Fellowship, School of Education students are also eligible for exclusive funding to support study abroad experiences.
- Small student cohorts and a highly engaged alumni network help establish strong professional relationship with faculty and peers.
Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Understanding Learning and Teaching
- Issues in Educating English Language Learners
- Literacy Across the Curriculum
- Methods and Curriculum in Teaching
- Adapting Instruction for Diverse Student Needs
- Student Teaching
- Student Teaching
- Children's and Adolescent Literature
- Assessment & Data-Driven Instruction
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Languages Educational Psychology View 515 other Masters in Educational Psychology in United States
- Bachelor’s degree and a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
- An English major, or a 30-credit major equivalent (including 9 credits of writing instruction or writing intensive courses) determined via transcript review.
- Official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate study
- Competitive scores on one of the following admissions entrance exams: Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- A personal essay describing the candidate’s beliefs about student learning, commitment to diversity, enthusiasm for learning, willingness to foster collaboration, and ethics.
- 3 Letters of recommendation, at least one from a faculty member
- Experience working with young people in formal or informal capacities.
- Interview encouraged.
- TOEFL is required for applicants whose native language is other than English
International31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 12 months.
National31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Syracuse
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.