Coursework includes a strong emphasis on the study of literature. Six semesters are usually needed to complete the M.F.A.
Three-Year M.F.A. in Creative Writing
The Fine Arts - Creative Writing program at Syracuse University is committed to creating a supportive environment for its students. As a program that aims to nurture new voices, we particularly want to welcome writers from underrepresented communities. We encourage people of color to apply. We believe a program is at its best when it is comprised of strong writers from a full spectrum of backgrounds and experiences.
POC-identified students can join a POC student group that is responsible for annually nominating a candidate to represent diversity and general student concerns on the creative writing committee.
Our program also aims to be a comfortable and supportive environment for LGBTQ students, international students, veterans, first-generation college students, disabled students, and for everyone who chooses to join us.
Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- The Syracuse program in creative writing has long been regarded as one of the best in the country. Each year six students are admitted in poetry and six in fiction to work closely in small workshops with an accomplished group of writers. Coursework includes a strong emphasis on the study of literature. Six semesters are usually needed to complete the M.F.A.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature Fine Arts View 758 other Masters in Literature in United States
- Applicants must upload a sample of fiction or poetry to their online application through Embark no later than December 15.
- Letters of recommendation should address not only the student’s creative work, but also his or her general preparedness for advanced graduate study.
- Likewise in their personal statements on the application for graduate study, students should state their reasons for pursuing an M.F.A. in creative writing as well as describe their own backgrounds as writers.
- The writing sample (consisting of either a set of 10-12 poems or 20 pages, maximum, for fiction writing)
International31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 36 months.
National31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Syracuse
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.