The Linguistics program of University of Rochester provides students with a solid foundation in all of the core areas of linguistics, including:
Additional advanced courses provide depth and enrichment in one or more specific areas of linguistics, including:
- Theoretical/formal linguistics: phonetics/laboratory phonology, syntax, semantics, formal pragmatics
- Experimental/empirical linguistics: phonetics/laboratory phonology, experimental syntax, experimental semantics and pragmatics, corpus linguistics, computational semantics
- Language documentation and description: tools for language documentation, field methods in linguistic description
Rochester’s MA in linguistics prepares students for further work at the PhD level in linguistics or related fields, or for employment in teaching or industry.
- History of Linguistic Thought
- Historical Linguistics
- History of the English Language
- Language Sound Systems
- Semantic Analysis
- Syntactic Theory
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 736 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
- GRE scores
- Writing sample
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for applicants whose native language is not English
International54540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1818 USD per credit during 12 months.
National54540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1818 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Rochester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.