Student training is focused on research design, critical analysis of data, and development of effective written and oral communication skills. Both the thesis M.S. and the Ph.D. are research degrees and thus our students are expected to publish significant original contributions to the field. Interdisciplinary programs with other departments within the university are also available. We also offer a non-thesis M.S. degree that is coursework intensive. We welcome interdisciplinary students from related areas such as chemistry/biochemistry, psychology, medical sciences, math and freshwater science. Our students receive rigorous training in both research and teaching that prepares them for successful careers in academia, industry, or government. Funding is available to all our graduate students in the form of research or teaching assistantships.
The thesis track of the Biological Sciences program of the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee is a research-based degree and is intended for students pursuing careers in formal research or planning to continue study towards the PhD degree. The department offers MS degrees with focuses in the areas of Microbiology, Cell and Molecular Biology and Ecology, Evolution and Behavior.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Special Topics in Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
- Seminar in Systematic Biology and Evolution
- Seminar in Neuroscience
- Research Advances in Cell and Molecular Biology
- Research Advances in Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
- Research Advances in Microbiology
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- May 1 (fall)
- October 1 (spring)
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics Biochemistry View 714 other Masters in Biochemistry in United States
- Undergraduate coursework equivalent to the Biological Sciences major at UWM, including coursework in the following areas of plant or animal science: cellular and molecular biology or genetics; organismal biology; ecology. Additional coursework in chemistry through organic or biochemistry; mathematical preparation including at least one course in calculus, statistics, or biometry; and a year of physics are strongly encouraged.
- Thesis Track: Optional submission of official scores from the GRE.
- Non-Thesis Track: Optional submission of official scores from the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), Dental Admission Test (DAT), Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT), or Praxis test. Submitted test scores may be used as additional evidence of academic ability.
- At least two letters of recommendation
- International students must meet the minimum department requirements for English proficiency
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 36 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State12219 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12219 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Milwaukee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.