Courses explore the Pan African experience as reflected in multiple historical, social, and political contexts, most notably in Africa, the Caribbean, and the United States. With the approval of the Graduate Committee, students may participate in the Scholar Exchange Program, a cooperative relationship with the University of Rochester and Cornell University.
This innovative program is distinct from any other of its kind. It has a unique experiential component that requires a residency at an external site at which the department either runs a Syracuse University Abroad (SU Abroad) program, or has established an institutional affiliation. This experience offers students alternative academic exposure while confronting them with the challenge of merging theory and practice as they learn to operationalize Pan African Studies in the larger world.
- Research Methods in African American Studies
- Seminar in Pan Africanism: Research and Reading
- Arts, Cultures and Literatures of the Pan African World
- Histories, Societies and Political Economies of the Pan African World
- Experience Credit
- Master's Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Languages View 792 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Syracuse University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Application fee
- Official transcript
- Letters of recommendation (as required by the program you’re applying to)
- Personal statement
- Portfolio (if required by your program)
- Writing sample (if required by your program)
- Official GRE scores (if required by your program)
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores (international students only)
- Military transcripts (for currently serving or veteran)
International32436 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32436 USD per year during 12 months.
National32436 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32436 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State32436 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32436 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Syracuse
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.