The Secondary Education (QTS) - Science - Biology programme offered by the University of Birmingham which offers high quality training and support, will prepare you to teach in the 11-18 age range and is run in close partnership with schools.
On the Biology Postgraduate Diploma Secondary Education course you will be challenged to develop informed and justified decisions about how you approach your teaching, in order to enable you to continue to develop over your career. The School of Education benefits from our unique collaboration with University of Birmingham School as well as a wide range of partner schools, including mixed comprehensive, single sex, religious and selective schools and sixth form colleges. The diverse communities we serve will enrich your experience on the PGDipEd Biology course.
There is currently high demand for secondary teachers in the region and beyond. Employment rates are consistently high and strong links with partnership schools mean that many students go into employment in the region.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The course is essentially one of professional training combined with academic study appropriate to a course at Masters’ level. Much of the work of the first term is a direct attempt to prepare you for teaching situations that you may face on school placements.
- It should give you opportunities for developing your own thinking which can be trialled when practising those facets of teaching which are most directly related to the classroom and the laboratory situation.
- The curriculum work is also concerned with broader and longer term aims. You will wish to familiarise themselves with current developments arising from and linked to the National Curriculum and various government initiatives.
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Biology Teaching View 901 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
All applicants to the Secondary PGDipEd (QTS) Science: Biology course must hold a degree or equivalent qualification from a UK Higher Education Institution. Your degree content must be at least 50% biology relevant to the National Curriculum. You should also have 2 science A levels or the equivalent.
- A GCSE in Mathematics and English (Grade 4 or above*) or an equivalent qualification must be attained before making your application.
International19440 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19440 GBP for the full programme during 9 months.
National9250 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 9 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.