The Graduate School, the College of Humanities and Sciences, the School of Education and the departments of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics and Teaching and Learning administer the program.
Student learning outcomes
- Students of the Interdisciplinary Studies (Concentration in Interdisciplinary Mathematics and Science Leadership - K-8 Mathematics Specialist) program at Virginia Commonwealth University will understand and apply mathematical concepts and procedures in the following content strands: number systems and number theory, geometry and measurement, statistics and probability, and functions and algebra.
- Students will understand the connections among various mathematics concepts and procedures, the structures within and between different content strands, and children’s learning trajectories.
- Students will apply, at different levels of complexity, the five fundamental mathematical process standards: becoming mathematical problem-solvers, reasoning mathematically, communicating mathematically, making mathematical connections and using mathematical models and representations.
- Students will understand and apply the appropriate technologies for teaching and learning mathematics including graphing utilities, dynamic software, spreadsheets and virtual manipulatives.
- Students will analyze and develop rich mathematical tasks for children and adults.
- Students will analyze, synthesize and apply mathematics education literature, including national and state standards, journals and other publications, to (a) understand trends in mathematics and pedagogy, (b) adapt and evaluate instructional materials, assessment materials and other resources, and (c) organize and develop high-quality, equitable and engaging programs for children, including diverse learners.
- Students will study and implement effective models of mathematics coaching and mentoring of teachers.
- Students will study and implement effective models of professional development for K-8 schools and districts.
- Students will develop and apply strategies to teach mathematics to diverse learners.
- Students will study and apply strategies and models for managing, assessing and monitoring children’s learning, including diagnosing student errors.
- Students will develop and apply the leadership skills necessary to design and implement mathematics programs at the school and division levels to improve mathematics teaching and learning.
- Students will develop and apply effective oral and written communication skills to gather, plan, organize and present ideas related to mathematics content and pedagogy to various stakeholders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Number and Operations
- Geometry and Measurement
- Statistics and Probability
- Rational Numbers and Proportional Reasoning
- Functions and Algebra
- Modeling With Mathematics
- Mathematics Education Leadership
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesMathematics View 604 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.