The Religious Education MA program of Brigham Young University is designed to provide advanced preparation for teaching in the LDS Church Seminaries and Institutes System. The core curriculum focuses primarily on six areas of study: Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Latter-day Saint history, and the teaching of religion and scripture.
Students at Religious Education MA program of Brigham Young University will:
- Demonstrate an increasing understanding of the scriptures, doctrine, and history and practices of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Teach students the doctrine and principles of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, as found in the scriptures and the words of the modern prophets.
- Demonstrate and teach how to study a scriptural, doctrinal, or historical text, and be able to critically evaluate source material in the search for answers and resolutions that build faith in the teachings, doctrines, practices, and history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Demonstrate an increasing ability to research and write about the scriptures, doctrines, and history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- World Religions and Security Analysis
- World Religions and Area Analysis
- Professional Ethical Studies
- Directed Readings in Church History and Doctrine
- Educational Philosophy and Values in Religious Education
- Scripture Teaching
- Research Methods in Religious Education
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Religious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 321 other Masters in Christian Studies in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Brigham Young University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Personal qualifications will be considered.
- Only full-time teachers in the LDS Church Seminaries and Institutes System (S&I) who have at least one year of employment in the system will be considered for admission.
- Written approval to apply from your CES Assistant Administrator.
- One letter of recommendation from your CES Area Director.
- Two letters of recommendation from an academic source outside of CES.
- Application - Submit an application by the program deadline
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Honor Code Commitment and Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Receive at least a 3.0 grade-point average in the cumulative undergraduate GPA from a regionally accredited university in the United States, or a comprehensive grade-point average of 3.0 from an equivalent university outside the United States.
- Evidence of Bachelor’s Degree and Transcripts
International15864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15864 USD per year during 36 months.
National15864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15864 USD per year during 36 months.
Latter-day Saint Tuition - $7,932
Living costs for Provo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.