Welcome to Queen’s English! Whether you are passionate about literary classics like Shakespeare’s plays and Jane Austen’s novels, or you prefer exploring contemporary popular fiction and the cultural place of comics, the Department of English offers courses that will pique your interest and stretch your mind.
As a Major or Medial, each year you will have access to a seminar experience that promotes discussion and debate, giving you a voice in your own learning.
At the heart of our program in English Language and Literature is a commitment to helping you develop exceptional skills in analytical thinking and proficiency in written and spoken expression. These are the hallmarks of our graduates, preparing them for a wide range of careers including law, teaching, library and information science, marketing, and human resources.
Designed to foster student success in both further academic pursuits and the workforce, the MA in English offers Course-Based and Thesis-Based patterns of delivery while providing students meaningful opportunities for professionalization and scholarly growth—from the “Literary Internship” to funding for Conference Travel to participation in the Departmental “Research Forum.”
Queen’s University Master’s students consistently demonstrate high rates of success in national awards competitions, in achieving entry into doctoral programs, and in securing employment in fields as varied as editing, publishing, teaching, law, civil service, business, NGO work, and information technologies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Professional and Pedagogical Skills
- Research Forum
- Medieval to 1660
- 1900 to present
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages General Studies & Classics View 67 other Masters in Language Studies in Canada
- Submission method: electronically via the online application
- Upon acceptance, one hard copy of the transcript will be requested by the School of Graduate Studies.
- Please note that you do not need to send your Queen's transcript if you are a graduate or current student of Queen's.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- An outline of your research interests and goals with respect to the degree you are pursuing. Doctoral Statements of Intent should identify the dissertation project you intend to undertake and indicate why our Department is suited to its pursuit.
- Writing sample: MPhil Applicants: 8-10 pages maximum (including bibliography)
International12927 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12927 CAD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National5773 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5773 CAD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.