The Master of Teaching curricula are designed to incorporate eligibility for initial teaching licensure in Virginia in early and elementary, or secondary education (biology, chemistry, earth science, English, history, history and social studies, mathematics or physics).
The approved curricula include undergraduate qualifying courses as well. Individuals pursuing the extended program are awarded undergraduate and graduate degrees simultaneously; baccalaureate degree recipients who meet the admission criteria also may pursue the Teaching (Concentration in English Education) program at Virginia Commonwealth University, including the qualifying courses. The combined baccalaureate and Master of Teaching program requires a minimum of 153-154 hours, at least 33 of which must be at the graduate level.
Student learning outcomes
- Learner and learning: Understand human development and learning theory appropriate to the age group they will teach and acquire an awareness of the diversity of the school-age population in cultural backgrounds and styles of learning
- Content: Demonstrate knowledge of the subjects they will teach
- Instructional practice: Demonstrate an ability to plan and implement effective teaching and measure student learning in ways that lead to sustained development and learning
- Professional responsibility: Develop an understanding of purposes for education and a defensible philosophical approach toward teaching and demonstrate professional dispositions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Educational Psychology for Secondary Teachers
- Democracy, Equity and Ethics in Education
- Young Adult Literature
- Secondary School Curriculum
- Teaching Secondary School English
- Reading Instruction in the Content Areas
- Classroom Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1476 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.