The Special Education (Concentration in Severe Disabilities) program at Virginia Commonwealth University prepares graduates for work in one of three areas: early childhood, severe disabilities or general education. Applicants who do not already hold a teaching license must meet both licensure and degree requirements prior to the awarding of the Master of Education degree unless exempted as a professional from another discipline. Students should plan carefully with their adviser to ensure that the appropriate courses and experiences are completed.
Throughout the program, emphasis is placed on person-centered planning, school and community inclusion, transdisciplinary teamwork and the role of the family. Successful completion of the degree program leads to licensure endorsement in special education, adapted curriculum K-12.
Courses address physical and medical management issues, functional assessment strategies, longitudinal curriculum planning, systematic instruction, augmentative and alternative communication systems, assistive technology, transition from school to adulthood, positive behavioral supports and the special needs of students with physical, sensory and health-related disabilities, including autism spectrum disorder.
All core courses are offered through the Virginia Consortium for Teacher Preparation in Special Education Adapted Curriculum: Supporting Students with Severe Disabilities and Autism. Core courses are accessed through VCU. Students enrolled in the program complete a field-based externship in their school (if they currently serve students with severe disabilities) or in one of the many public schools in the Richmond area. A total of six credit hours of externship experience is spread throughout the course of study and is designed to meet the students’ needs for professional development.
All candidates are required to submit a final portfolio as the capstone requirement of the program. Successful completion of the 42-credit-hour program results in eligibility for Virginia endorsement in special education, adapted curriculum in addition to the Master of Education degree.
Student learning outcomes
- Learner and learning: Understand human development and learning theory appropriate to the age group they will teach and acquire an awareness of the diversity of the school-age population in cultural backgrounds and styles of learning
- Content: Demonstrate knowledge of the subjects they will teach
- Instructional practice: Demonstrate an ability to plan and implement effective teaching and measure student learning in ways that lead to sustained development and learning
- Professional responsibility: Develop an understanding of purposes for education and a defensible philosophical approach toward teaching and demonstrate professional dispositions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Characteristics of Individuals with Disabilities
- Assessment of Individuals with Disabilities
- Instructional Methods and Programming for Individuals with Disabilities
- Theories, Assessment and Practices in Literacy Development for Individuals with Exceptionalities
- Behavior Support of Individuals with Disabilities
- Interdisciplinary Studies in Developmental Disabilities: Teamwork in Serving Persons with Developmental Disabilities
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSpecial Education View 663 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.