Through course work, the Special Education with a concentration in general education program at Virginia Commonwealth University will encompasses broad concepts of education, research, development, related disciplines and special education to build a foundation of professional knowledge and understanding. Specialized courses develop the intensive diagnostic, remedial, decision-making and consultative skills and understandings required of a professional in a special education-general education setting, including the ability to recognize educational and social problems, to formulate effective individualized instructional interventions using a variety of methodologies and modifications, to incorporate accommodations and transitions into program plans and to consult productively with appropriate personnel in the development of maximum educational opportunities for students with high-incidence disabilities. In addition to course work, candidates will create an electronic portfolio that will showcase their knowledge, skills and dispositions in the special education general curriculum.
The program offers candidates the opportunity to complete clinical placements in their own classroom or school with approval from VCU faculty and supervision by trained personnel. Placement opportunities for clinical experiences include a range of public and private schools and mental health programs that allow graduate students to select field experiences that are consistent with their professional goals. Previous teaching experience is valued, but not required. Students will have the opportunity to complete a practicum in addition to the externship. When students complete the program, they are eligible for licensure by the Virginia Department of Education with an endorsement to teach students enrolled in special education, general curriculum in grades K-12. Candidates are offered the option of taking a full-time or an on-the-job externship for a semester.
Student learning outcomes
- Learner and learning: Understand human development and learning theory appropriate to the age group they will teach and acquire an awareness of the diversity of the school-age population in cultural backgrounds and styles of learning
- Content: Demonstrate knowledge of the subjects they will teach
- Instructional practice: Demonstrate an ability to plan and implement effective teaching and measure student learning in ways that lead to sustained development and learning
- Professional responsibility: Develop an understanding of purposes for education and a defensible philosophical approach toward teaching and demonstrate professional dispositions
- Advanced Educational Psychology for Elementary Teachers
- Characteristics of Individuals with Disabilities
- Educational Foundations for Collaboration and Universally Designed Learning
- Assessment of Individuals with Disabilities
- Instructional Methods and Programming for Individuals with Disabilities
- Theories, Assessment and Practices in Literacy Development for Individuals with Exceptionalities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 741 other Masters in Special Education in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Virginia Commonwealth University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three letters of recommendation addressing the student’s potential for graduate study in education
- Statement of intent
- Transcripts of all previous college work
- Satisfactory scores on the GRE
- Additionally, there are several tests that students must pass for admission to teacher preparation, admission to student teaching and licensure in Virginia. Students should consult the Teacher Preparation page on the School of Education website for current testing requirements.
- Applicants who do not have a provisional or professional collegiate teaching license in special education must take Trends in Special Education as a prerequisite course.
- Admission to clinical experiences in schools requires a background check and fingerprinting.
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.