The Special Education (Concentration in Early Childhood) program at Virginia Commonwealth University prepares graduates for work in one of three areas: early childhood, severe disabilities or general education. Applicants who do not already hold a teaching license must meet both licensure and degree requirements prior to the awarding of the Master of Education degree unless exempted as a professional from another discipline. Teacher candidates should plan carefully with their adviser to ensure that the appropriate courses and experiences are completed. Successful completion of the degree program leads to endorsement in early childhood special education, severe disabilities or special education-general education.
The courses are delivered using a blend of online and face-to-face formats. The program is learner-centered, innovative, interactive and collaborative. Through online discussions and face-to-face meetings with faculty members, community partners, student peers and program graduates, the ECSE teacher candidates have multiple opportunities to engage in interactive, proactive and dynamic dialogues.
Successful completion of the degree program qualifies candidates for teacher licensure with endorsement in early childhood special education by the Virginia Department of Education and initial early intervention certification. Candidates are prepared to intervene with infants and young children representing a wide range of abilities, including those at risk for developmental delays. As a result of training, candidates will be prepared to serve children and families in diverse and high-need communities in a variety of early intervention roles. The program can be completed in five semesters of full-time study or six semesters of part-time study.
In addition to course work, candidates create an electronic portfolio to showcase their knowledge, skills and dispositions in the special education early childhood curriculum.
Student learning outcomes
- Learner and learning: Understand human development and learning theory appropriate to the age group they will teach and acquire an awareness of the diversity of the school-age population in cultural backgrounds and styles of learning
- Content: Demonstrate knowledge of the subjects they will teach
- Instructional practice: Demonstrate an ability to plan and implement effective teaching and measure student learning in ways that lead to sustained development and learning
- Professional responsibility: Develop an understanding of purposes for education and a defensible philosophical approach toward teaching and demonstrate professional dispositions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Educational Psychology for Elementary Teachers
- Democracy, Equity and Ethics in Education
- Research Methods in Education
- Characteristics of Individuals with Disabilities
- Assessment of Individuals with Disabilities
- Instructional Methods and Programming for Individuals with Disabilities
- Theories, Assessment and Practices in Literacy Development for Individuals with Exceptionalities
- Behavior Support of Individuals with Disabilities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSpecial Education Early Childhood Education View 485 other Masters in Early Childhood Education in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.