Students will gain an understanding of the developmental and diagnostic processes involved in teaching reading and the language arts and will become familiar with the resource and supervisory functions that are part of the specialist role. Prior to graduation, students must complete a reading portfolio documenting their work in the program and related work experiences and pass the Reading for Virginia Educators Assessment. The M.Ed. in Reading is an approved program (K-12) for students who meet Virginia State Department of Education requirements. The reading specialist endorsement also requires completion of three years of teaching in a reading-related field.
A cooperative agreement has been established with Virginia State University to permit selected, qualified students to complete the Reading (Concentration in K-12 Reading Specialist) program at Virginia Commonwealth University. Up to 12 credit hours from an approved list may be transferred from the cooperating institution. Interested students should contact the Department of Teaching and Learning.
Student learning outcomes
- Demonstrate content knowledge to support literacy and language learning
- Effectively plan instruction or fulfill other professional responsibilities that attend to learner differences
- Effectively apply knowledge, skills and dispositions in practice
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Child Growth and Development
- Adult Development
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Advanced Educational Psychology for Elementary Teachers
- Learning and Motivation in Education
- Cultural, historical and philosophical
- Philosophy of Education
- Social Foundations of Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching View 1312 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.