We offer a master degree in Musicology at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. The usual prerequisite for admission to graduate work leading to the M.A. and Ph.D. degrees is a bachelor of arts degree with a major in music, or a bachelor of music degree, comparable to those given at this university.
- Central to the departmental resources is the Music Library, which ranks high among the nation's music libraries for its scholarly editions, periodicals, early source materials, iconographic aids, microfilms, folk-music collections, and recordings as well as access to major music research databases and thousands of streamed audio and video recordings.
- In addition, the Southern Folklife Collection (SFC) is one of the nation's foremost archival resources for the study of American folk music and popular culture.
- Instrumental Performance Repertory
- Music Internship
- Digital Media and Live Performance
- Resources and Methods of Musicology
- Special Studies
- Seminar in Music Theory
The department offers the degrees of master of arts (M.A.) in musicology and the doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.) in musicology, construing "musicology" in its broad sense to encompass the interrelated disciplines of music history, music theory, ethnomusicology, and studies of popular culture.
- Application fee (non-refundable $95.00)
- Transcripts (complete, not selected courses): One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application.
- Current letters of recommendation
- Standardized test scores
- Statement of purpose
- Community Standards Questions
- Supplemental program information
International28844 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14422 USD per semester during 12 months.
National28844 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14422 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State10552 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5276 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Chapel Hill
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.