The Master's programme in Microbiology focuses on the functioning of micro-organisms and their potential for improving our health and environment. The programme incorporates these two areas as well as focusing on cell structures, and interactions. Students in this programme can choose from a number of specialisations based on their interests.
The research of the Microbiology department at Radboud University has been bestowed with the most prestigious science prizes, including three ERC Advanced Grants, a Spinoza Prize, and two Gravitation Grants. You will be able to work with state-of-the-art bio-reactors, electron microscopy and mass spectroscopy equipment, and facilities for molecular methods alongside world-class researchers.
Students also have the opportunity for internships at multiple related research institutes, such as the department of Ecological Microbiology, the department of pediatrics (Radboudumc), the department of Internal Medicine (Radboudumc) and the department of Medical Microbiology (Radboudumc).
Would you like to know if you are eligible to be admitted to this programme? Take our E-Check and instantly get an insight in your eligibility: echeck.ru.nl
What will you learn?
Learn about microbiology from a number of different perspectives, including environmental and medical microbiology
Choose from a variety of specialisations based on the topics you are passionate about
- Get hands on experience designing, conducting and presenting research
Graduates from this programme have a variety of job opportunities:
- Researcher at a university or research institute
- Researcher in a company, either a large or a start-up company
- Researcher at a governmental research institute
- Consultant at a governmental agency, like a ministry
- Consultant at a consulting firm
- Risk analyst
- Policy officer at a governmental organisation or an NGO
- Project coordinator in water or ecosystem management
- Communications officer at an environmental organisation
- Teacher in biology (College or secondary education level)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction and Orientation in Microbiology
- Microbial Physiology & Metabolism
- Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Microbial Cell Structure & Function
- Host-microbe Interactions
- Medical Microbiology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- 1 April: Final deadline
- 1 July: Final deadline
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Molecular Sciences View 39 other Masters in Molecular Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed Bachelor's degree in Biology, Medical Biology, Molecular Life Sciences, Microbial Biochemistry or related area All students must have passed preliminary examinations in the following subjects, containing the subject matter of the following well-known international textbooks (or equivalent literature):
Students must have passed (preliminary) examinations containing the following subject matter:
- Micro- Biology (environmental or medical or physiological) 12 EC
- Biochemistry 6 EC
- Cell Biology 6 EC
- Molecular Biology/ Genomics 6 EC
- Metabolism 6 EC
Basic understanding of the following subjects is required:
- Metagenomics or genomics
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
- Motivation letter
- Reference letter
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a number of scholarships available only for international Master’s students. You can find the full list, including details about eligibility requirements and how to apply, on the university's website
- Please do note, that most of these scholarships are not fully funded. The Radboud Scholarship Programme (RSP) is the only scholarship that offers both fully and partially funded scholarships.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.