The mission of the Microbiology and Immunology program at Virginia Commonwealth University is the preparation of individuals for a variety of career objectives in microbiology and immunology. The programs incorporate formal instructional activities and, as appropriate, research training, mentored by the members of the faculty. The M.S. program is distinguished by inclusion of the preparation of the individual to function as a laboratory director or scientific investigator.
The experience of performing laboratory research is a most important component of the MS students' graduate-phase of education. Such research is conducted under the direction of a graduate advisor. Laboratory rotations provide an opportunity to interact closely with faculty in order to determine a suitable match so that an informed decision can be made to join a particular research laboratory. Once the advisor is chosen, students carry out an original, independent research project under the direction of that advisor. The scope of the research is usually more limited than that for the Ph.D. program. A Graduate Advisory Committee (GAC) of faculty members meets regularly with the student to advise on the progress of the student's research.
- Principles of Molecular Microbiology
- Techniques in Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Microbiology and Immunology Research
- Microbiology Research Seminar
- Laboratory Safety
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Genetics View 247 other Masters in Microbiology in United States
- Applicants must have earned or expect a baccalaureate or equivalent degree and must have demonstrated a superior knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Laboratory experience is strongly recommended.
- The Graduate Record Examination is required, as are letters of recommendation and a letter summarizing the applicant's goals.
- For combined degree students, the Medical College Admission Test or Dental Aptitude Test is accepted in lieu of the GRE.
- Foreign applicants who do not use English as their native language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language examination.
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.