The Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics and the Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research jointly offer the M.S. in Mathematical Sciences.
The mission of the Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research is to offer a strong undergraduate and graduate education, with an increasing focus on the development of cross-disciplinary efforts that will prepare students for real-world applications and stimulating employment and career opportunities.
Students of the Mathematical Sciences (Concentration in Statistics) program at Virginia Commonwealth University may obtain a designation on their transcripts indicating that their graduate study has emphasized the mathematics concentration by completing the requirements that are listed here. A student who has not satisfied the requirements for one of the program concentrations offered, but who has otherwise fulfilled all the requirements for a master’s degree, will be awarded a degree of Master of Science in Mathematical Sciences without any specialization.
Student learning outcomes
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of basic statistical concepts, probability and inference, general linear modeling, calculus, and linear algebra.
- Students will know how to select appropriate samples and conduct appropriate experimental data collection methods.
- Students will be able to perform appropriate analysis of data, including knowledge of the assumptions associated with the procedures and how to determine the appropriate procedure to use.
- Students will be able to use statistical software packages to solve various problems.
- Students will know how to clearly and concisely present technical information in writing and through oral presentations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research and Communications Seminar
- Mathematical Statistics
- Linear Models
- Design and Analysis of Experiments
- Applied Linear Regression
- Social Statistics
- Statistical Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Statistics View 495 other Masters in Statistics in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.