The Master's research specialisation in Metaphysics and Epistemology focuses on age-old questions of being, truth and reality from a contemporary viewpoint. You will draw from other philosophical fields like Philosophy of Mind, Social and Political Philosophy, and Philosophical Anthropology.
This programme is closely connected to the Center for Contemporary European Philosophy and we offer enough courses in continental philosophy in order for you to fill your entire programme with it. You will also receive one-one-one guidance in creating your programme and research.
What will you learn?
Get a theoretical background in traditional philosophy and learn how to apply it to contemporary debates
Examine philosophers from the hermeneutic and continental traditions
- Gain valuable experience in designing, conducting and presenting your own research
This programme has been designed for people with the ambition to do research. Graduates tend to fall into one of three groups:
- A majority of the students continue their research within academia by applying for a doctoral programme in the Netherlands or abroad. We take particular pride in the fact that more than 75 percent of our graduates manage to obtain a PhD position within two years of graduating.
- A second group goes on to teach philosophy at secondary schools.
- And a third group enter research-related professions outside of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Notion of Stupidity in Contemporary Philosophy
- Elective research seminars
- Elective course
- State of the Art Paper and Master’s thesis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 41 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed Master’s degree in Philosophy. The applicant must have a degree with merit or distinction or equivalent. Meaning: a student’s weighted grade-point average in Philosophy in the 2nd and 3rd year of their Master's programme must be the equivalent of 7.5 or more (on the Dutch scale of 10).
- A proficiency in English
- Highly motivated:The applicant has to demonstrate to the Examination Board that they have serious research interests and skills. They must write a motivation letter and send a writing sample which can help evaluate their research and writing skills.
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9124 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9124 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Radboud Scholarship Programme
- The Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme
- Holland Scholarship Programme
- Fulbright-Radboud Scholarships
- StuNed scholarship programme
- Radboud University Medical Center Study Fund
- Radboud Faculty of Arts Study Fund
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.