Through research, professional service and scholarship in applied communications, the school advances the knowledge and practice of a multidisciplinary and evolving media environment. The school values truth, ethics, creativity, innovation, collaboration, cultural diversity, shared governance and community engagement.
The M.S. in Mass Communications with a concentration in multimedia journalism is designed to prepare students to work in a highly competitive and multiple-platform (print, broadcast, online/digital) news environment. The program is for recent graduates who have an undergraduate degree in journalism or a related field, or for more veteran journalists who want to upgrade their professional skills.
Student learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate higher-level skills in concept building with a focus on critical thinking, and in the design of journalism news stories and packages with a multimedia focus
- Communicate clearly and effectively in written and multimedia platforms to serve news audiences
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct basic research that is applicable to journalism and multimedia
- Effectively apply tools and technologies to multimedia news stories and packages as appropriate for the news industry and other communication workplaces
More informationVisit official programme website
- Research Methods in Mass Communications
- Online Journalism
- Online Journalism
- Computer-assisted Reporting
- Visual Journalism
- Convergence Law and Ethics
- Multiplatform Storytelling
- The Business of Media
- International Journalism
- Converged Media Applications
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesMedia Studies & Mass Media Digital Communication View 73 other Masters in Digital Communication in United States
- Application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition.
- Personal statement submitted with the online application.
- $70 application fee.
- Three reference letters submitted through the online application.
- Transcripts from each institution you attended are required.
- Official test scores, if required by your program.
- Your resume, if requested by the department to which you are applying.
International27971 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27971 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National14497 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14497 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.