The Sexuality and Gender Studies By Research programme at University of Birmingham requires you to prepare a thesis of up to 40,000 words.
Postgraduate research is pursued in its broadest social and intellectual context, and you develop your research project within an active and friendly postgraduate community.
Postgraduates are offered opportunities to present work-in-progress at Departmental Research Seminars and at the School Postgraduate Forum. As appropriate, staff and supervisors will also guide postgraduate students in important areas beyond the thesis itself, such as the preparation of external conference papers and research publications.
Since we are particularly interested in interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary work, it is possible to arrange joint supervision involving staff from other Departments, thereby giving you access to a broader knowledge base and maximising the quality and originality of your work.
Some of the language graduates train to become professional linguists such as translators and interpreters. Other graduates enter employment where their language skills may be advantageous but not central to their role - for example, within international organisations - and some go on to teaching or lecturing positions.
Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include: Language Connect; RWS Group; TransPerfect Global Business Solutions; University of Birmingham; University of Cambridge; and University of Oxford.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Cultural Studies
- Literary/ Film Studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- StartingApply anytime.
- Postgraduate research can start at any time during the year, but it is important to allow time for us to review your application and communicate a decision.
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Languages View 476 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent).
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA4380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4380 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £2,160 part-time
- International: £8,520 part-time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies.Loans are available of up to £10,609 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,000 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.