Students in the History of Art and/or Archaeology programme offered by SOAS University of London concentrate on architecture, sculpture, painting and the decorative arts and have the option of pursuing topics and approaches more archaeological in focus.
They consider theoretical and methodological questions and are invited to question the relevance of the disciplinary distinction between History of Art and Archaeology to the study of the non-Western world. Courses cover a time period spanning from antiquity to present-day, contemporary art.
A Masters from the Department of the History of Art and Archaeology provides students with expertise in the History of Art and/or Archaeology of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Our postgraduates progress to work in arts, culture and heritage roles, including in galleries, museums, archives, conservation, publishing and arts administration. The large portfolio of transferable skills they acquire enables them to forge careers in a range of other fields across the world. Our Masters programmes are also an excellent foundation for MPhil/PhD research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Dissertation in Art and Archaeology
- Arab Painting
- Arts of Goryeo and Joseon Korea
- Arts of Modern and Contemporary China (since 1800)
- Asia and Africa On Display: Objects, Exhibitions and Transculturism
- Ceramics in Chinese Culture: 10th - 18th Centuries
- China and the Silk Road: Art and Archaeology
- Chinese Porcelain: Trade, Transfer and Reception
- Contemporary Art and the Global
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchaeology History Art History View 604 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11520 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11520 GBP per year during 12 months.
PT fees (2 years):
- UK - 5,760 GBP per year
- Overseas - 11,250 GBP per year
PT fees (3 years):
- UK - 3,840 GBP per year
- Overseas - 7,500 GBP per year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Felix Non- Indian Scholarship
- Felix Scholarships
- John Loiello AFSOAS FISH Scholarship
- Postgraduate SOAS Global Impact Award
- SOAS International Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship
- SOAS Master's Scholarships
- Sasakawa Postgraduate Studentship
- Tibawi Trust Award
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.