The MA Global Media and Communications from SOAS University of London offers a specialised study of the global media environment in relation to Asian, African and Middle Eastern societies and cultures, together with rigorous training in and questioning of contemporary media and communication theory.
We ask what concerns and hopes the people of the regions we study have; how should we address comparatively the global role of mass and digital media in contemporary politics and conflict, as well as processes of exclusion, inequalities, development, participation and empowerment.
By considering how, where and by whom media is produced, consumed and used, students develop advanced knowledge and understanding of the theoretical, methodological and empirical issues involved in the analysis of non-western media and communications within historical and contemporary contexts. Students will address alternative ways to situate mediated articulations of agency and subjectivity in non-Western contexts through engaging with various texts challenging the hegemonic claims of mainstream Western media theory that insists the rest of the world subscribe to a narrow exclusive vision of the world.
The SOAS MA Global Media and Communication will appeal to students with a variety of backgrounds and objectives:
- those coming from a media or journalist background who wish to engage more deeply with global media and communication theory in relation to regional specialisation, especially, but not exclusively, the societies of Asia, Africa and the Middle East;
- those coming from Asian, African or Middle Eastern Studies who wish to incorporate the study of global media and communication into their own areas of expertise; and
- those having previously trained in other disciplines, such as Anthropology, politics, international relations, Religious Studies, History, etc.
- those wishing to pursue further study through doctoral research
A postgraduate degree in Media from SOAS gives students expertise in media, communications and film production within a global framework. It is a valuable experience that provides students with a body of work and a diverse range of skills that they can use to market themselves with when they graduate.
Media and Film Studies students develop a portfolio of transferable skills which employers seek in many professional and creative capacities including communication skills, interpersonal skills, team work, flexibility and dedication.
Department graduates have gone into a wide range of careers and to complete research degrees.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Topics in Global Media and Communication
- Theoretical Issues in Global Media and Communication
- International Political Communication
- Studies in Global Digital Cultures
- Studies in Media, Information Communication Technologies and Development
- Theoretical Approaches to International Journalisms
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
120 taught credits (including core, compulsory and option modules) and a 60 credit, 10,000 word dissertation
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences International Relations Media Studies & Mass Media View 333 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will consider all applications with a high 2:2 (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- If an applicant does not have a bachelors degree in an appropriate field s/he may be required to complete a qualifying year or a one year diploma before entering the masters programme.
- Relevant work experience may also be taken into consideration. Individual courses may have specific entry requirements, so you are advised to consult the postgraduate prospectus for further information.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21980 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21980 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10680 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10680 GBP per year during 12 months.
PT fees (2 years):
- UK - 5,340 GBP/year.
- Overseas - 10,990 GBP/year.
PT fees (3 years):
- UK - 3,560 GBP/year.
- Overseas - 7,330 GBP/year.
PT fees (4 years - intensive language only):
- UK - 5,340 GBP/year.
- Overseas - 10,990 GBP/year.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Felix Non- Indian Scholarship
- Felix Scholarships
- John Loiello AFSOAS FISH Scholarship
- Postgraduate SOAS Global Impact Award
- SOAS International Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship
- SOAS Master's Scholarships
- Sasakawa Postgraduate Studentship
- Tibawi Trust Award
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.