The MA in English program offered by Concordia University Montréal gives you the freedom to explore your creative vision and find your voice as a writer in the artistically vibrant city of Montreal.
Students have the flexibility to propose a thesis project in traditional or innovative genres and media, including digital media.
As you explore a variety of media, forms, and genres, you will stay grounded as a scholar thanks to our department’s widely shared commitments to literary historical concerns.
- Special Topics in English Literature
- Studies in Early English Literature and Medieval Literature
- Studies in Renaissance Literature
- Studies in Restoration and Eighteenth Century Literature
- Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature
- Studies in Twentieth Century Literature
- Studies in Poetry
- Studies in Drama
- Studies in Fiction
- Studies in the History of Ideas
- Studies in Shakespeare
- Studies in American Literature
- Studies in Canadian Literature
- Studies in Post-Colonial Literature
- Studies in Literary Criticism
- Seminars in Creative Writing: Prose Fiction, Poetry and Drama
- Studies in Selected Areas
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 25 other Masters in Creative Writing in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Concordia University Montréal and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The MA program, with the exception of the Creative Writing option, requires an Honours degree or its equivalent in English with a minimum of a B+ (3.30 GPA) average.
- The Creative Writing option requires a major in English Literature or its equivalent with a minimum of a B+ (3.30 GPA) average.
- Portfolio submission, as outlined on the English Department website.
International13995 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 622 CAD per credit during 24 months.
National6390 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 284 CAD per credit during 24 months.
Quebec residents: $90,84 per credit.
Living costs for Montréal
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.