The master’s curriculum is designed to be an intensive course of study that will provide students with the skills required to advance to research-oriented careers in biotechnology or provide the foundation for further graduate study toward a Ph.D.
- The curriculum includes core, specialization and elective courses. Electives drawn from various departments allow individual specialization.
- The structure of the program provides a framework for the progressive development of a mastery of the current state of the subject matter of bioscience, an ability to synthesize this information and apply this foundation to the identification of key areas of investigation and experimentation. The program relates this framework to the development of the ability to design, implement and interpret experimental approaches which address the questions identified.
- In addition, the program will develop skills in the various means of communicating both the core of bioscience knowledge and the expression of experimental design, results and interpretation to a variety of potential audiences.
- The final three semesters include a research project conducted under the guidance of a selected faculty mentor and culminates in the presentation and defense of a master’s thesis.
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Scientific Integrity
- Responsible Scientific Conduct
- Microbiology Research Seminar
- Directed Research in Biochemistry
- Directed Research in Microbiology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesBiology Human Medicine Bioinformatics Biochemistry View 257 other Masters in Bioinformatics in United States
- Application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition.
- Personal statement submitted with the online application.
- $70 application fee.
- Three reference letters submitted through the online application.
- Transcripts from each institution you attended are required.
- Official test scores, if required by your program.
- Your resume, if requested by the department to which you are applying.
International27971 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27971 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National14497 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14497 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.