Beautiful architecture. Solid structure. What else do buildings need? Try living in one without any heating, cooling, electrical power, lighting, water or drainage. What would it be like to work in a tower without lifts? How would you manage without telephones, an IT system or an internet connection? All of these systems and many more are designed by building services engineers. They turn buildings from empty shells into spaces fit for people to use through the Building Services Engineering programme from London South Bank University .
From the very start of the building design, building services engineers are involved helping architects and other members of the design team to get the size, shape and configuration of the building right. They determine strategies for designing energy efficient buildings, making them sustainable in the long term.
Buildings are responsible for a large chunk of carbon emissions, so this work makes a critical contribution to reducing a building's impact on climate change.
Of all the disciplines working in the built environment today, the building services engineer has the broadest reach and the deepest impact, affecting virtually every aspect of building design.
CIBSE, Engineering Council, Energy Institute
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Thermal environment, acoustics and lighting
- Heating and energy in buildings
- Energy resource and use analysis
- Electrical power
- Sustainable refrigeration
- Ventilation and air conditioning
- Energy engineering project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 794 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
The course is designed for students with undergraduate degrees in mechanical, electrical or chemical engineering, or other relevant engineering disciplines, and who seek to develop specialised skills in building services engineering to enter this industry.
- A BEng (Hons) degree in an appropriate discipline. Normally upper second class would be considered a minimum, but lower class may be acceptable depending on experience.
- Cognate degrees in appropriate disciplines (e.g. physics, chemistry or mathematics) will be accepted provided the candidate demonstrates some knowledge of building services engineering.
- Other qualifications may be accepted depending on age and experience. This category would normally be reserved for mature candidates who have had several years experience in the building services industry.
- For applicants whose first language is not English, an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent is required.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9880 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK fee: £4391.11
- International fee: £6622.22
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International undergraduate and postgraduate students scholarships:
- International Scholarships
- LSBU is offering scholarships and discounts to hundreds of students via our International Scholarships International Merit Scholarships
- We offer students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate taught programmes with outstanding academic profiles a fee reduction of up to £4,000 on each full academic year's tuition fees.
- LSBU Loyalty Award
- We offer postgraduate Tuition Fee discounts for LSBU graduates progressing directly onto a postgraduate course and eligible alumni.
- ONCAMPUS London South Bank Merit Scholarship
- 25% fee reduction to ONCAMPUS London South Bank students progressing to university degree programmes.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.