Why study MSc Violence, Conflict and Development at SOAS
- we are ranked number 5 in the QS World University Rankings in the subject of Development Studies
- SOAS is ranked in the top 5 universities in the UK for producing a CEO or Managing Director, according to new research
- our academics teaching on this programme are research-active and have links to international organisations and NGOs operating in conflict areas
- as a student, you will be trained to apply empirical methods and analytical skills to accurately determine the effects of violence
- you will be able to choose from a broad range of optional modules – so you can tailor your degree to your own interests and aspiration
- the department has a Violence, Peace and Development Research Cluster which conducts research activities
A Violence, Conflict and Development programme from SOAS University of London will further develop your understanding of the world and how society is organised, with specific focus on violence and conflict, the role of aid, refugees and forced migration. Graduates leave with a range of transferable skills, including critical thinking, analytical skills and cultural awareness.
Recent Department of Development Studies graduates have been hired by:
- Amnesty International
- BBC World Service
- British Embassy Brussels
- Department for International Development
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)
- Embassy of Japan
- Government of Pakistan
- Hong Kong Economic & Trade Office
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Political economy of violence, conflict and development
- Political Economy of Development
- Theory, policy and practice of development
- Agrarian Development, Food Policy and Rural Poverty
- Aid and Development
- Borders and Development
- Cities and Development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development Terrorism & Security View 536 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at SOAS University of London and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22840 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National13360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13360 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK: £6,680/year
- Overseas: £11,420/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.