About the Program
The Department of Kinetic Imaging (KI), encourages a broad range of approaches to making. Our current graduate students are working through such diverse modes as artificial intelligence, interactive video projection, augmented and virtual reality, bio art, sound art, occult experiments, video art, queer spaces, the artist book, motion capture, animation, personal archives, Black aesthetics, performance, sculpture, assemblage and material poetics—all towards realizing a deep personal research practice.
The Kinetic Imaging program at Virginia Commonwealth University is small and selective, designed to support six to eight graduate students. Over a period of two years, students work closely with a group of faculty who are all active artists and researchers in their respective fields. In KI, we aim to create a community that fosters a rigorous yet supportive environment for individual growth.
The MFA in Kinetic Imaging requires 60 credit hours and is completed in two years of full-time study. Every semester a student takes a graduate seminar that addresses topics related to contemporary art and theory, a graduate studio class with KI graduate cohorts to present and discuss works in progress, encouraging intense studio production. Students also choose an additional elective – self selected to support their individual studio and research interests.
Over the course of each semester, graduate students meet with individual committees composed of two faculty members. Each committee and student conducts an ongoing conversation around the student’s work and research interests. The first year of the MFA ends with a candidacy show and critique with the committee and the rest of the KI faculty. Second year culminates with MFA recipients mounting a comprehensive exhibition of their work, supported by written documentation, at the university’s Anderson Gallery.
Graduate teaching assistantships and scholarships are available and there are opportunities to teach as an adjunct professor. Graduate students have 24/7 access to personal studios equipped with individual computers, as well as the use of video, animation and sound production spaces. We have a wide range of media equipment especially designated for graduate use.
- Contemporary Media
- Independent Study
- Advanced Sound
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Visual Arts Graphic Design View 121 other Masters in Graphic Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Portfolio: 12-20 images/videos of representative work
- The applicant must provide a personal statement discussing reasons for pursuing graduate study
- All applicants must present grades (marks) that reflect superior ability and serious effort
- All non-native English-speaking applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency
- Individual departments or schools may have special requirements such as the Graduate Record Examination or Graduate Management Admission Test
- Prospective students who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official course-by-course external credential evaluation as a required part of the admission process
- Proof of adequate funds to live and study full time at VCU by submitting an I-20 DS Request Form accompanied by an original bank verification letter
- A $70 state-required application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.