Graduate students in the M.F.A. program are exposed to a vigorous visiting artist schedule. Through studio reviews, seminars and research, the students are expected to build an awareness of contemporary and historical definitions of art that will influence their creative work. In addition to their own investigations, graduate students participate in and contribute to the undergraduate program.
While the graduate program is generally a two-year, four-semester in-residence program, students are expected to continue pursuits either on campus or at an alternative site throughout the calendar year.Student learning outcomes:
- Through studio reviews, seminars and research, students are expected to build an awareness of contemporary and historical definitions of art that will influence their creative work.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking and conceptual problem-solving, with the ability to contribute to and challenge the rapidly evolving dialogue in media arts.
- Students? creative work will demonstrate an engagement with critical thinking and conceptual problem-solving.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to carry their work and critical inquiry to professional platforms such as public exhibitions, performance and/or scholarly publication. This includes knowledge of the various venues available to support and enhance their professional careers and the ability to accurately communicate what their work is addressing and who they are as artists.
- Foundations in Media
- Topics in Contemporary Media
- Independent Study
- Advanced Sound
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesIndustrial Design View 58 other Masters in Industrial Design in United States
- Application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition.
- Personal statement submitted with the online application.
- $70 application fee.
- Three reference letters submitted through the online application.
- Transcripts from each institution you attended are required.
- Official test scores, if required by your program.
- Your resume, if requested by the department to which you are applying.
- Portfolio: Provide 20 still and/or moving images. Present work in reverse chronological order with the newest work first and the oldest work last. Images are reviewed one at a time. Please include any additional information to help reviewers understand the image.
International27971 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27971 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National14497 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14497 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.