Students can choose from a range of modules covering the politics of resistance, religion, and solidarity, alongside urban politics, infrastructure, migration, artificial intelligence and human security. The MSc in Politics of the Middle East from SOAS University of London trains students in disciplinary approaches - political sociology, political economy, and international relations - while encouraging them to think and work across disciplinary boundaries.
Teaching and learning on this degree combines lectures, seminars, presentations, and independent study. Students are expected to read extensively and to engage actively in class discussions. They study research methods, and submit independently written assignments, with the guidance of their course tutors. Towards the end of the year, students will write a 10,000 word dissertation on a topic of their choosing with the support of a specialist supervisor.
The MSc Politics of the Middle East enhances students' learning and research by access to the world-leading specialist SOAS Library, the opportunity to take a language module, and the vibrant programme of academic and student-run events on the Middle East at SOAS.
SOAS MSc Middle East Politics students leave SOAS not only with a knowledge and understanding of the complex political and cultural issues of international politics, but also with a portfolio of widely transferable skills which employers seek in many professional and management careers, both in business and in the public sector.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- State and transformation in the Middle East
- Islam and politics
- Islam and political ideologies
- Political society in the Middle East
- Political violence
- Politics of resistance in the Middle East
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Political Science Artificial Intelligence View 591 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- We understand that the coronavirus has had an impact on the ability of students from many regions to take the IELTS, TOEFL and PTE Academic test, as test centres have been closed. We therefore will be accepting the Duolingo, the LanguageCert and the TOEFL IBT At Home online tests from all International and European applicants for the September 2020 intake.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22840 GBP per year during 12 months.
National13360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13360 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK: £6,680/year
- Overseas: £11,420/year
Part Time 3 Years:
- UK: £4,450/year
- Overseas: £7,610/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.